Wednesday, 29 May 2013

The Hoarders Next Door

I haven’t watched this series of documentaries on Channel 4 but today I want to discuss hoarding. You might be asking, How did this topic come to mind? Well I am currently moving out of my uni house and back to Essex for summer and have an exhausting amount to pack! While going through my things and deciding what can come with me and what can be left for the dustbin men, a realisation crept up on me. I must admit that I am a hoarder.

The TV program looks at some incredibly extreme cases so please don’t expect my room to be stacked high with old magazines or my bed swamped with teddy bears (there are only three…).  There are a few useless things that for some reason I find difficult to throw away. Warning: This is highly illogical so if you cannot comprehend this, I apologise. 

Underwear 
I have a ridiculous amount of underwear. Things that don't fit me anymore, socks with holes in, odd socks, useless underwear that probably deserves to go into the bin. It's not like I even need any of it, my underwear drawer is stuffed full! I do need to have a clear out but I always think: what if the other sock returns one day? and what if I run out of underwear, forgot to put a wash on and need these old ones? 
Okay, I admit that's pretty bad - I'll try my hardest to throw all those old bits and bobs away in summer. Maybe I'm a bit too lazy.

Perfume Bottles
I also have at least a dozen perfume bottles on top of my dresser. Most of them are empty but they are too pretty to chuck away! They take up quite a bit of room and are a hassle if I ever try to do some dusting (on that extremely rare day I want to clean). This is the least useless out of my useless items as they are very decorative. The variety of shapes, sizes and colours mean I like each one for a different reason.
If you can think of a practical use for them, please let me know! Otherwise I will probably force myself to dispose of them soon enough...


Make up
My final hoarding item is make up. I know people that have tons more than I do but as my bedroom in the family home is currently being turned into a kitchen, I no longer have the space I used to. From many shopping trips and presents, I have gathered a large collections of eye shadows, mascaras, bronzers, foundations, nail varnishes, lip glosses and all sorts. Some have yet to be opened while others were finished years ago. Since most make up has a use by date (usually 6 or 12 months), I really should throw out a lot of stuff. I hardily ever wear eye shadows but I keep them  just in case!


Are there any items you collect or keep that  take up space or are completely unnecessary? Are you a bigger hoarder than I am?

7 comments:

From Tracie said...

I would have a hard time throwing away those lovely perfume bottles, too. it seems like there must be something creative that could be done with them - some of them are little little pieces of art.

Jennice Plussizeprincess Powel said...

I'm not a hoarder but my mom is. She hoards paper. When we moved here she actually bought a box full of old bills (some open,some not) and other various bits of mail. WZe're getting ready to move again and she has several more bags of paper. I told her I refuse to help her dump any of it! She also hoards her empty medication bottles. That I take care of myself. Stopping by from #SITSsharefest

Kayleigh Parker said...

Thanks for visiting! I agree - I'm going to search through Pinterest in hope of some inspiration! :) xx

Kayleigh Parker said...

It's amazing how much useless stuff we all have about the house! We're currently having a massive clear out as a new kitchen is being fitted - Is it too late to be called spring cleaning? Thanks for visiting xx

The Dose of Reality said...

I totally want to come hang out with your makeup...that is an impressive supply! ;) Stopping by from the SITS Sharefest on Twitter.-Ashley

Kayleigh Parker said...

Thanks Ashley! Sadly had to stop hoarding make up and got rid of all the old and broken bits. xx

Michelle Nahom said...

I have a lot of paper clutter. My daughter hoards makeup and skin care products...for the life of me I can't even begin to imagine why she has so much! Visiting from SITS Sharefest!