Saturday, 3 August 2013

Snail Mail Collective

When I got an e-mail from Melyssa from The Nectar Collective telling me about a new series she was starting, I had to get involved. The Snail Mail Collective  occurs monthly and starts by putting participants into pairs. Then there is a few weeks to get to know your partner before sending them a small gift and a postcard. It's a great way to meet other bloggers and get to know them on a personal level.



I was very lucky to be paired with Elizabeth from Nomelizabeth who lives in Singapore. It was great to find out the things we had in common, like food, animals, photography and food (did I mention food already?). There was a $5 limit on spending but I did £5 because I don't think there is much difference. This is what I bought my friend in Singapore...

Postcard / Pop-Up Postcard / Sweets / Owl Necklace
I managed to get quite a few little bits and bobs and wanted to be a bit touristy as well as personal. 
-The postcards (from Accessorize and Paperchase) are London based because I live 20 minutes away from the big city. I love the idea of the pop-up postcard and hopefully Elizabeth likes it too! 
-I bought a few little sweets for her because they are typical sweets to find in any supermarket in Britain (and probably Europe). I thought this reflected well on our love of food. 
-The main present I got Elizabeth was the owl necklace. Owl prints and jewellery are very much in fashion in the UK and I live in the English countryside, where lots of owls are! I also have an owl necklace so I thought it was a bit like a friendship bracelet in which both people have a similar item? 

I sent these items over to Singapore and not too long after got my gift from Elizabeth. I was so excited when the postman passed over the brown package (even though I was still in pyjamas and holding onto an excited Ralph). 

Postcard / Singapore Spoon / Ooh Ice Cream Time!

I received a beautifully hand-written postcard and a very well wrapped gift. Her handwriting put mine to shame (I have rubbish handwriting - Sorry Elizabeth!!). The lovely teaspoon was given to me with the intention of me thinking of Elizabeth as I gobbled up some ice cream and that is what I have already done! 

Thank you very much to Elizabeth for being a great partner in crime for Melyssa's first ever Snail Mail Collective. It was a great experience to get to know someone from an entirely different culture, yet find so much in common too! 

2 comments:

Tanja said...

What a cool gift you sent her! I wish I was paired with you too, I <3 London :D

Kayleigh Parker said...

Thank you - I found it easy to find gifts but such a struggle to keep in the price range. Whereabouts are you from Tanja? Give me an e-mail if you want me to send a postcard! Kayleigh.parker@myport.ac.uk xx