Saturday, 8 February 2014

The Cookie Monster

The other week I got a bit excited in ASDA. It's understandable to get excited in the Disney Store, Accessorize (ooh shiny things) and Lush but for most people, it's nearly impossible to be hyper in ASDA... Unless you are in the baking section. I really went overboard. I wanted to buy lots of new cooking equipment, scales, different coloured spatulas, mixing bowls, baking trays! Just thinking about it makes me a little light-headed. 

Where did all this come from? Well I've always loved the idea of baking and made the occasional chocolate cake, but since coming to uni my love for making a mess in the kitchen was lost (but the kitchen still managed to be a mess). Well student loans came through and Kayspray wanted to get into a new hobby - see resolutions post here

Tom and I made a marble cake and a normal sponge cake already and I really didn't have my head screwed on. I didn't take a single photo during the baking process or the eating part. Luckily you didn't see me stuff my face but it could have been a wonderful baking post. 

Cookies
This recipe makes about 12 cookies and I personally think they are decent dupes of Millie's Cookies. Shh don't tell Millie! I've made more than a few batches recently with some of the girls at uni. It's one of the only foods I can think of that I enjoy at the unbaked, half-baked and fully baked stages. 


Ingredients
125 grams of butter
125 grams of caster sugar
80 grams of light brown soft sugar
1 medium sized egg
225 grams of self raising flour
A teaspoon of vanilla essence
As many chocolate chips or chocolate buttons as you desire

Start by pre heating your oven to 180C. Then soften the butter and cream it together with both the sugars. This is often my version of a work-out, alongside hoovering and cleaning the house. Once you feel you've burned a few calories (so you can eat more cookies), add in the egg, vanilla essence and bit by bit add the flour. This is a fool proof recipe in my eyes - as long as you don't get egg shell in the mixture. When you're confident that everything is mixed together, add the chocolate chips. We had two 100g packs of milk and white chocolate chips on our first go and then giant chocolate buttons the next - both worked well. 


If you don't accidentally eat the mixture at this point, use your hands to mould the dough into cookie like shapes. If they don't look very big, do not fear - they will expand a lot in the oven. Our mixture made enough for 12 decent sized cookies with a little bit left in the bowl to eat while waiting. I don't have a clue how long to leave them in for but make sure you keep checking them. I'd say leave them for 8 minutes and from then onwards check every few minutes. It depends how well done you want them. We got ours out when they just started turning golden. 

Leave them on the tray to harden for a bit before moving to a cooling rack or plate. This really is a simple non-technical recipe that results in some delicious gooey cookies! 

If you try this recipe please post a photo on Instagram or Twitter and tag me to it @kayspray! If you have any requests for recipe posts, particularly baking, just let me know in the comments box or by email :) 

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Hey Kayleigh! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster
Award. If you’d like to take part then read my post to find out more :) http://kerrymac88.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-liebster-award.html