Thursday, 20 March 2014

#NoMakeUpSelfie

At first I was incredibly confused by this trend. From what I saw, people were raising awareness for cancer by posting a photo of themselves on Facebook without make-up. I didn't like the idea that people were using the c word to get likes on their Facebook statuses. It just seemed attention seeking and slightly disrespectful. I felt people were saying that posting a 'make-up less' face was a big deal - just like suffering from cancer is. However a bit later on Wednesday I saw people posting their donations alongside their selfies. For me this was what the campaign was really about! 

#NoMakeUpSelfie donate via text to Cancer Research UK

I read an article thanking the trend for raising over £1 million in 24 hours. It's amazing what the power of social media can achieve!! So it's not really about the selfie- it's about the money people should be donating once nominated! Yes, people should be donating money anyway and yes shouldn't have to be done to show everyone BUT it's working. Cancer Research UK wouldn't have had over £1 million in donations in less than 24 hours without this very clever and inspirational campaign. People have been doing creative things to raise money for charity for decades. From getting in a bath tub of baked beans to non-school uniform days! Cancer is a topic close to everyone's heart. It affects everyone; whether you are personally a victim to the vicious disease, are close to someone fighting the battle or have tragically lost loved ones because of it. That's why it is so important to raise and donate money to help beat cancer. 

A photo of yourself with no make-up on and a small donation to Cancer Research UK is making a difference. Kudos to whoever started the campaign! Too often the Internet and social media are seen in a bad light because of cyber bullying, lack of privacy and dodgy sites promoting god knows what. It's great to see such an influential medium being used to good. 

So I've done my selfie and donated! However I know this isn't enough to combat cancer. I'm a proud supporter of the Race for Life and I really want to become more active in the anthropology field. If you have yet to donate: I nominate you!! Tag me (@kayspray) in your Instagram #nomakeupselfie 

Text BEAT to 70007 to donate £3 to Cancer Research UK

What are your views on the new trend? I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave your links with the comments below x

No comments: