Thursday, 3 April 2014

Review: Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paint

I came home from uni without any nail varnishes so on Mother's Day I quickly popped into the shops to find a nice spring colour to try out. My go-to brand for varnishes is Barry M. I usually find them to be good value for money and love the range of colours they offer. 


So the colour I bought was 'Sugar Apple'. If you've seen any of my recent blog or Instagram posts, I'm very much in love with minty colours. I purposely don't buy similar coloured varnishes as I don't' want to buy any more storage for my beauty bits. Because of this, I can't compare this colour from any other brands versions. However I'll do my best to give an honest report on how I feel about the quality of this product. 

The nail varnish took 3 coats to become fully opaque. I've worn it since Sunday and reapplied another layer on Tuesday as I wasn't happy with the two I'd previously put on. For a normal person it might not take this many layers but I unfortunately lack experience in painting my own nails. I'm always doing my toe nails but hardily bother with my hands because they usually chip after a day! Once applied, I noticed the colour was a lot brighter than I first assumed. I predicted a more gentle pastel colour but it's definitely a bright 'neon-ish' shade. I really like this colour - the perfect spring-time nails! When purchasing this product, I was looking forward to seeing what the Gelly Hi-Shine part was all about. I couldn't really see what was different to one of their standard nail paints. I guess there is a nice shine to it but all my nail varnishes are pretty glossy. 

As far as the quality of the product goes, I am very impressed. Normally I'll smudge or chip the nail varnish within a day of applying it. With this product it lasted a good 3 days before I noticed some minor chips in the corners. The overall finished look of my nails would have been better if I was better at doing my nails. The product was easy to use and I've had a compliment or two about them so I'm content! For the price of £3.99 (£1 more than their normal range), I'm happy I purchased this product. I really like to colour and even though it takes a few coats and a bit of patience, the resulting colour and finish is very decent. The more I practise applying nail varnish, the better I will hopefully become!

Let me know what you think of this review. Would you like to see more of these sorts of posts? Have you tried about of Barry M's Gelly Hi-Shine varnishes? What other brands would you recommend?

Thanks for reading x

6 comments:

Emerald Dove said...

That colour is gorgeous - perfect for Spring! :)

theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

Darcy Mae said...

Great color! I love pastels for spring :)

Kayleigh Parker said...

I'm now on a nail varnish hype, I want to get all the spring colours possible! X

Kayleigh Parker said...

Me too! Been getting lots of compliments for this colour :) x

Charlotte // BeautySoup said...

Do you know what- I've never heard a negative review on these nail polishes AT ALL. Never! Xx

Beauty Soup | UK Beauty Blog

Kayleigh Parker said...

I was tempted to get another shade but think I'll try another brand so I can compare quality/cost better! x